Van Gogh painted sun flowers. He changed our connections 1 with sun flowers. After van Gogh sun flowers are not the same.
Sumire Nukina wrote a composition ‘Zonnebloem 1’ (Sun flower 1) for bass clarinet. And I cannot but connect this to Van Gogh because my teacher did ask “Would a connection exist between van Gogh and this music?”
When I play this piece of music these connections and a load of other connections 2 do influence the sound. Playing this music changes my perception of sun flowers because of the story 3 which is in the connections.
Sumire Nukina did make her music on a (not named) painting of Mondrian of sun flowers. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbell1975/5394496202/
or this one http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/piet-mondrian#supersized-still-life-186000
Mondrian painted the sun flowers in 1907 1908. He knew van Gogh.
Connectivism is not only about knowledge. Knowledge (information) is always connected to stories with feelings, value, sense making. Do you think knowledge exists without a ‘knower’? Berkeley meant this connectedness of knowledge and ‘knower’ when he said ‘Esse est percipi’. (van Peursen, Verhaal en werkelijkheid : een deiktische ontologie, 1992) 4
The story is a way of sense making, and of connecting knowledge and meaning and sense and emotions and value. An example: Critical Thinking (CT) is on almost all curricula as an unconnected, stand-alone subject. CT without a story is sophism and empty smartness. CT has to be connected to a story to make sense of it and to use it in a sensible way. 5
He, Clive Thompson, in a November 2011 Wired article, goes on to say that internet search engines present a “golden opportunity to train kids in critical thinking.” In order to sort through hundreds of search results, students must evaluate information, consider credibility, and ask crucial questions about context and meaning. According to Thompson, these kinds of critical thinking skills are being ignored in favor of preparation for standardized tests. Andrew Neuendorf
1) meaning, sense, knowledge, attraction.
2) The network ‘Sun Flowers’ is much greater than the things I did mention here: Eating sun flower seeds in a Chinese tea garden, Fields with sun flowers in France, sun flower oil, sun flowers growing in the garden and dead sun flowers in autumn.
3) story = a metaphor to indicate a network of meaning, sense, opinion, facts, value, words, images, attraction, etc.
4) tr. Story and Reality. A Deictic Ontology
5) Facebook: Scott Johnson, Can’t resist posting this site: http://chronicle.com/article/Beyond-Critical-Thinking/63288 Full of insights into being so critical as to be blind to understanding the depth of human experience. Check out the discussion section at the end too.
Image van Gogh: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Vincent_Willem_van_Gogh_128.jpg